The Company was Incorporated as a Public Limited Company on 1st December 1975 under the name Punjab Alkalies Limited. The name of the Company was subsequently changed to Punjab Alkalies & Chemicals Limited and a “Fresh Certificate of Incorporation Consequent on Change of Name” dated 19th April 1983 was obtained from the Registrar of Companies, Punjab, HP & Chandigarh, Jalandhar.
The brief history of the Company is enumerated as below :
|January, 1984||Commenced operations (with an installed capacity of 37,059 TPA of Caustic Soda and 16,500 TPA of Liquid Chlorine|
|September, 1987||Caustic Soda Concentration & Flaking Unit Commissioned|
|1998||Changeover from Graphite Anodes to Dimensionally Stable Metal Anodes and installed an Anode Control and Protection Device|
|October, 1991||Installed capacity of Caustic Soda Lye and Liquid Chlorine increased to 41,152 TPA and 29,700 TPA respectively|
|End 1992||Installed capacity of Caustic Soda Lye increased to 50,820 TPA|
|August, 1995||100 TPD, grassroot plant, based on the HOECHST - UHDE Membrane Cell Technology was commissioned. Installed capacity of Caustic Soda Lye increased to 83,820 TPA and Chlorine to 52,800 TPA respectively.|
|1998||Conversion of existing 170 TPD Mercury Cell Plant to 200 TPD Membrane Cell Plant|
The Company has been promoted by the Punjab State Industrial Development Corporation Limited (PSIDC), a wholly owned Punjab Government Company.
The shareholding pattern as on 31.03.2018
1. PSIDC 33.49 %
2. Banks / Financial Instituitions / Insurance Companies 2.27 %
3. Corporate Bodies 7.32 %
4. UTI & Other Mutual Funds 0.04 %
5. NRI, FII & OCB Shareholders 2.20 %
6. Indian Public 51.31 %
7. Others 3.37 %
There are about 22461 shareholders spread all over India including the rural areas of Punjab State and abroad. PACL’s present subscribed and paid-up share capital is Rs. 27.10 Crores.
The company’s plant is located at Naya Nangal in District Ropar, Punjab (India). The location is ideal in terms of being connected by rail and road. Being so close to the Bhakra Nangal Dam, the plant has an assured and continuous good quality power supply – which is a major input for Caustic Soda.
The plant is located in the heart of North India, which is a burgeoning market for all its end-products.
PACL’s ISO-9001-2008 certification from Det Norske Veritas (DNV), is a commitment to its customers to manufacture and deliver quality products that meet their own stringent quality requirements. It is a resolve to give its customers total satisfaction.
The Company has implemented an Environmental Management System conforming to ISO 14001:2004 Standard at its Works and the Company’s Environment Management System (EMS) has been certified by Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
PACL is marching ahead to upgrade its facilities. Having setup a new 100 TPD Membrane Cell Caustic Soda Plant in 1995, PACL has converted Mercury Cell Caustic Soda Plant into a 200 TPD Membrane Cell Caustic Soda Plant based on the state-of-the-art, energy efficient, eco-friendly HOECHST-UHDE Membrane Cell Technology at an investment of Rs.86 Crores in 1998. The present total installed capacity of Caustic Soda stands at 99,000 tonnes per annum.
The Sales Turnover and Net Loss during the year ended 31st March 2011 were Rs. 191.94 Crores and Rs. 24.28 Crores, respectively.
Note : The figures of 2002-2003 are for 15 months i.e. April 2002 to June 2003 and for 2003-2004 are for 9 months i.e. July 2003 to March 2004.
TECHNOLOGY ABSORPTION AND ADAPTATION
The know-how of the Company’s 100 TPD Membrane Cell Caustic Soda Plant has been fully absorbed. The know-how of the Company’s Mercury Cell to 200 TPD Membrane Cell converted Caustic Soda Plant has also been fully absorbed.
The Company has been conferred various National & State Awards :
- In December, 2009, the Company has been awarded a Trophy, a Certificate of Merit and an Award of Rs.1.00 lac by the Punjab Energy Development Agency for securing the First Position in the category of Energy Intensive Industries in the State Level Energy Conservation Award Competition, for the Company’s efforts in the field of Energy Conservation during the year 2008.
- “Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial National Award” for excellence in Industry, National Award for Excellence in Energy Conservation
- Punjab State Safety Award for Largest Reduction in Frequency Rate of Accidents in Chemical Industry (more than 5 lac manhour group).
- Our employees have got “Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puruskar” from Government of India“Kirt Shromani” & “Kirt Veer” Awards in the field of Safety & Productivity from Government of Punjab.